Thursday 7 January 2016

Poetic License

I recently petitioned Parliament. This is easy to do these days, and a spiffing idea, I think. I obtained the necessary number of signatures to get it off the ground (5: hardly a major hurdle) and am waiting for the Parliamentary Petitions Department to decide whether to permit it's publication, or not. To be fair, I have no idea what the confirmation process is, or whether a 'Parliamentary Petitions Department' really exists, but I feel it ought.

 

I am a tenant with a good and responsible landlord. My petition is for the 700,000 tenants living in unsafe and/or insanitary conditions being ripped off by unscrupulous landlords (or landladies for that matter).

 

I wrote a stirring introduction, and a heart-rending appeal designed to animate the Compassion Community and spur them to action. I was immensely pleased with myself. I hit send, and there it was : "That All Private Landlords Should Be Licenced." Lord, am I embarrassed?


I shall say it's the 'Greengrocer's Apostrohe' trick ... A deliberate error designed to draw in the pedant and trap her into buying 'Potato's'... .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment