Tuesday 6 December 2016

No, I Don't Know What MOOC Stands For ...

I have just uploaded my last assignment for the MOOC 'Naural History Illustration 101',

presented by the University of Newcastle (Auatralia) and hosted by EdX. It was a rendering of an elephant which in poor light and a squint is half-convincing. Despite it's shortcomings, I am very proud of it, and pleased to say that it helped me to my 75% overall mark. (Boosted, I confess, by studiying hard for 100% in the theory elements ... ) 

I will post it. Because it's a serious work, I have not given the subject a name, but his mother's called Mango. 

Natural history has always been a hobby of mine, though I am far more comfortable wielding a camera than a pencil, to be honest. Never mind, it was fun to do, great to learn a new skill, and free. 

Frankly, drawing other bits of the cosmos has been a very welcome distraction. It's hard not to imagine that the world is falling apart with the what-all that's happening in politics at the moment. Getting stuck into a tin of pencils is a wonderful antedote. 

What next? I quite fancy another practical course. Off to EdX to find something new to try. 




2 comments:

  1. Wow -- you've made me re-look at edX. If you could learn to draw like that online, who knows what other wonders wait in the coursework? Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing! This was what the Internet does best. I completed 'The Science of Happiness' and dip in and out of, 'The Art of Poetry' There are HUNDREDS of courses across all disciplines. I'm looking into 'Ageing Healthily' from the University of Liden

    ReplyDelete